Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tara: Week 1

This week marked the beginning of my first year of teaching, and additionally the first week that I used number talks in my classroom. I will begin by describing what I did in my classroom, followed by a reflection, and questions that I have going into the upcoming week.

Introducing "Number Talks"

I decided to sell the idea of number talks to my students as a way to build their flexible thinking by seeing and trying to understand multiple ways of thinking and doing basic arithmetic. I gave them two goals over the course of the year:
1) Push themselves to offer their strategies and methods out loud in class
2) Work on actively listening to their peers' methods as a way to help build their flexibility with numbers
I began this week with two dot talks. My reasoning for doing this was twofold. First, I wanted to build their understanding of the structure of number talks, without the added pressure that arithmetic often brings. Secondly, I wanted them to get into the habit of sharing, listening, and trying to understand other students' ideas and thoughts.

Reflection on the week

I have four classes that I am doing number talks in. Three of which are sophomore classes; these students are taking IMP2, Interactive Mathematics Program. One of which is a freshman class, taking IMP1. 

I was surprised at how mixed my classes were in their reaction to this activity. In the first two classes, both my sophomore classes, they participated, but less willingly. I had to wait to have students raise their hands, but I did eventually have students share their ideas. In the next two classes, students were very eager to share their ideas and to help me understand their classmates ideas. There were several times where I was unsure about how a student counted the dots and needed some help from other students. They jumped at the chance to explain to me what they thought their peer was thinking. I was so impressed by their ability to listen and focus during the dot talks. 

I do feel lucky that my students are all exposed to used to listening to different methods and I think they have already begun building the idea that understanding and seeing multiple methods can help you understand topics even better. So, I am hoping that number talks can reinforce that idea and help them gain more practice understanding, communicating, and thinking in new ways. 

Below you will see pictures of the blackboards for the first dot talk.
Period 1 (10th grade):

Period 2 (10th grade):
Period 3 (9th grade):

Period 4 (10th grade):

Questions as I go into next week

How can I maintain the enthusiasm of my 3rd and 4th period classes as we go into doing number talks with arithmetic?
How can I try and further the sharing and enthusiasm of my first two classes? Also, are they too nervous to share? Or, have they not bought into the idea of number talks? 
Additionally, the native language of over 90% of my student population is Spanish. Could this be affecting some students' willingness to share their ideas?

I think I want to start with addition next week, but am still having trouble deciding on which problem to begin with. I don't want to give them a problem that is too hard, because then it may further shut students down or curb the enthusiasm of others. On the other hand, I am afraid if I make it too easy, they will think it is too childish. 
Right now I am definitely leaning towards giving them an easier problem because I want everyone to be able to access it, and I don't want them to feel bad if they struggle with it. I'd rather it be too easy and then move to a more difficult problem if they are comfortable with it. 



3 comments:

  1. Here are the possibilities I am thinking about using for my first actual number talk:
    19 + 26
    Uh-oh string (in case this problem is too difficult): 9 + 21
    Yahoo string (in case this problem is too easy): 29 + 36

    - Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am probably responding too late... But, I am facing the same issue regarding enthusiasm. Maybe once you start an arithmetic problem, the students will buy into number talks more. Once they start to hear different ways of doing addition (or whatever other arithmetic) they will think it is as awesome as we do. The hesitation to share could also be because it was the first week of school. There isn't a community feeling, yet, and the students may be reluctant to take a risk this early in the year (before they know each other). The fact that 90% of your students have a native language of Spanish may also make them nervous to speak. How do they do during other class activities? Is the participation the same?

    Also, I like the 19 + 26. That is a good one for students to use the borrowing method (I think that is what it is called), but also is hard enough to do the traditional algorithm. I look forward to seeing what you decided and how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Tara - What did you end up trying? What happened? It is great that you have some classes that are eager to share their thinking. How proficient are your students in English? I agree with the reply above that they may be nervous to explain their thinking. But, on the other hand, if 90% of them have Spanish as a primary language, then they are all pretty much in the same boat. One thing you could try - have someone explain their thinking in Spanish and let someone else translate (unless you speak Spanish). That could set up a nice precedent in the class.

    I think choosing addition was wise - remember we regretted starting with multiplication last year? But let's think ahead about what the main strategies are for doing 19+26 and what are the strategies that you hope students will start to learn? Maybe we can all brainstorm an addition sequence to try so that important properties are built.

    ReplyDelete