Monday, September 17, 2012

Melissa: Weeks 4 and 5

These past two weeks have been hectic.  But, I managed to do 4 number talks. 

Week 4:  I decided to switch to addition problems part way through the 4th week because the students were not seeing the value of nontraditional algorithm methods.  I figured this may be because they have not thought of multiplication flexibly.  So, I wanted them to have some success with number talks and I wanted to hear from several different students (as opposed to having two strategies for multiplication).  So, I began with 19 + 26.  All of the classes had several different strategies and the attitude towards number talks seemed positive overall.  New students began sharing and students even asked each other questions.

Week 5: I wanted to build off of the momentum from the 4th week, so I had the students try 28 + 17.  This problem gives the same answer as 19 + 26 but it pushes the students a little farther by using 8 and 7.  In fact, in only one class a student shared the traditional algorithm, but they did it a little different.  So, the students seem to be understanding that the the traditional algorithm is not always the best strategy and they are even seeing similarities in each other methods.  Some students have said things like, "His method is almost the same as mine, but I did ______ instead of _______."  I am going to continue with addition and focus the problems on a certain strategy.  Then, I plan to get back into multiplication.  In one class where 2 people tend to be the main "speakers", seven different students shared their methods and I had to have other students hold theirs because of time.  So, I am beginning to see the students' confidence with number talks increasing.

I do not have questions, at this point, but I do have a couple goals for myself:
- I am working on getting different voices, so I have been saying, "I want to hear from someone whose method has not been on the board, yet."
- Quieting the side conversations while a student is sharing their method.  I think the students think my voice is the only one that really matters, so I am working on having the students see value in each other's ideas.


2 comments:

  1. Bravo for keeping at it!! It is sounds like you made a good decision about the addition -- isn't it interesting what lights up some classes and others not? It is exciting that new students have been volunteering.

    Your goals are such worthy ones. As I was watching videos of number talks, I realized how important it is to get other students involved in someone's method as much as possible so that we don't get into protracted one-on-one discussions that the rest of the class tunes out of. You probably have talked to them about how important it is to listen to each other and try to figure out what other kids are saying and why it makes sense. Which makes me think... if we put ourselves in their shoes, why IS it important to listen to and understand what others are saying?

    These reflections are amazing. Amazing. Your thinking helps all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! I am reading your posts on this joint work and I am so thrilled to see you really studying your practice. As to be expected, students are participating in different ways. I wonder what explicit connections could be made to students about the skills in Number Talks and the skills in the rest of your instruction. So, for example, "Number talks help us build X (flexibility, or pay attention to different methods or whatever), and we use this skill when we do Y". I am curious about ways that can help students see the wider applicability of what is gained through number talks, in the hopes that this will address issues of relevance and engagement. Well, I just wanted to share a few thoughts, but mainly to wish you both well, and to commend you on this great undertaking!

    ReplyDelete